The Lavender Line
It’s now less than a month to go until the railway’s much anticipated Gala weekend kicks off with this year’s event looking set to be the biggest yet! We have a fantastic range of loco’s set to take centre stage along with a great selection of road steam engines from steam rollers to crane engines. Classic cars and commercial vehicles will also be on display with miniature traction engines filling the gaps.
• Steam engine Bagnall ‘Empress’ on train rides from platform 2
• Heritage Diesel 0-4-0DM Andrew Barclay 805 on train rides from platform 1
• Former mainline Diesel 0-6-0DE Class 09 09025 will be on Driver for a Fiver duties from Dock platform
• Former MOD Shunter 0-6-0DH Ruston ‘Valiant’ will be on brake van rides from Dock platform
• Light shunter 0-4-0DM ‘Planet’ will be on shunting duties and display only
• Great line up of up to 13 visiting road steam engines from steam rollers to crane engines, plus 5 miniatures
• Vintage buses, commercial vehicles and a fantastic selection of classic cars are all set to join the steam engines in our vintage vehicle line up
• Riley’s miniature railway located on platform 2 will be open all weekend and operating an intensive timetable with both steam and electric loco’s
• Intensive timetables both days with trains departing from platform 1 and 2
• Brake van rides from the Dock Platform with parallel departures alongside main service trains
• Cab rides available on all trains with just a donation fee towards Dock platform rides and £5.00 per person for steam engine cab rides
• *New for 2015: Driver for a Fiver with Ex mainline Diesel Class 09 09025, £5.00 for one return driver under instruction to the bridge and back. Available from 1.00pm to 4.00pm at the Dock platform
• *New for 2015: Beer tent located on site in association with the Laughing Fish pub
• *New for 2015: Beer tasting and purchasing with the local High Weald brewery
• BBQ available all weekend
• Full site access including train rides to Worth halt and the chance to explore Worth Woods
• Hawthorn and Leslie 3837 society will be on display answering and questions about the steam engines project
• Traction engine trailer rides available over the weekend in the neighbouring field between 11.00am and 1.00pm
If you fancy a great value day out with interest for all the family, then this is the event for you. Why not pay a visit over the Gala weekend and enjoy some of the fine sights our heritage has to offer. This will also be one of the final opportunities of the year to witness road steam engines in action as the season draws to a close.
More information and final details will be realised in the coming weeks along with prices, car park details and timetables.
This is one event you don’t want to miss!